This time feels different. This time I finally feel ready. I am armed with a machete, a bush hogger, and other manner of snag and snarl clearing devices! I know there will be times when I fall off the path as I try to clear the recalcitrant debris. No successful journey is without pitfalls. They are rarely straight paths - from here to there - with no deviation.
As I set out on this successful journey, I will face the hurdles, the brambles, the briars, the pot holes, snarls and snags and I will defeat them. They might slow me down, but they will not stop me!
Officially, my journey began on July 26, 2013. That Friday morning, I stepped on my scale and saw that scary number - 250.6 - and said NO MORE!
I began right then to do the right stuff. I have known about the 'right stuff' for years. After all, I am a professional dieter: Weight Watchers - multiple times, various versions; Atkins; eDiets; calorie counting; my own versions cobbled together from these and other sources. Knowing and doing are two very different things.
Enter Friday morning, the great scale shock day... and I'm off.
I decided I needed a few tools of success. I made a 1/2 gallon of vitamin water (thinly slice 1/2 cucumber and 1 lemon, place in pitcher and fill with water; steep for 4-6 hours). I made an extra large serving of green juice (kale, spinach, 1/2 cucumber, a few baby carrots, 1 lemon, 1 apple, 1 stalk celery). Then I prepped all the vegetables and fruits in the fridge to be ready to juice each morning with minimal daily prep. I planned dinners based on my freezer and pantry contents. I planned heart healthy breakfasts. Prepped salad ingredients for lunches.
I kept up my Friday momentum all week -
- I ate healthier meals - did not eat out at all.
- I juiced daily.
- I drank water, vitamin water or herbal tea with minimal sweetener.
- I exercised in the pool 3 days.
- I shopped for fresh fruits and vegetables. Prepped them for easy eating.
- I completely eliminated soda. (A big deal for me - I easily drank 2 to 3 2-liter bottles of Caffeine Free Diet Coke! -- I've had None this week, not even a sip of Mom's soda. Added bonus? I save money in my food budget!
After one week, I am less hungry each day and lost 6.6 lbs! An excellent start to the healthy part of this journey.
There are several elements to this Living Better journey: Physical, Financial, Spiritual, Intellectual.
- Physical: My health, including losing 80 lbs and reducing or eliminating blood pressure medications
- Financial: Money management/debt reduction/retirement goals (this journey began in mid-2010)
- Spiritual: Finding myself, my spiritual side, my purpose and living in it as I lose one third of my body (also a continuing journey, wanting to pick up speed on this one, make it more intentional)
- Intellectual: keeping my mind active and engaged. Expanding my knowledge through reading, researching , exploring. (also an ongoing journey, one that needs more intention)
And the journey continues. Hop aboard!